AOLserver Developer's Guide
Jump to navigation Jump to search
(Lets not split these into seperate pages until there's enough content.) We assume the reader is somewhat familiar with http://aolserver.com/docs/devel/c/, or its peer pages, and now is looking for more advanced development topics.
- AOLserver and Tcl Crash Course - A Programmer's Introduction (Outline)
- AOLserver Internals -- a guide to common data structures, a description of the lifetimes of a thread, an interpreter, a request, and a connection. Discussions of memory allocation. The Private C API.
- AOLserver and Tcl -- Expanded conversation about integration of AOLserver and Tcl. Issues of multi-threaded Tcl; the Tcl Library; the lifecycle of a Tcl Interp including initialization, synchronization with other threads, interthread communication, and Tcl Interp cleanup and teardown. The Tcl API.
- AOLserver and other languages -- a discussion of how AOLserver integrates with PHP, Python, Java, etc. and how these language implementations differ from AOLserver Tcl's implementation
- AOLserver Configuration -- a walk-through of the basic steps to properly configure AOLserver, from database pools to virtual hosting.
- Here's a starter for Virtual Hosting in AOLserver 3.x and 4.x.
- Module inclusion and how your files are treated.
- AOLserver in a multi-server environment -- so you've outgrown one server, a discussion of AOLserver in a multi-server environment, including load balancing, clustering, session management, logging, and database replication
- AOLserver Development -- AOLserver Best Practices, including application development, emacs hacks, use of the control port, to
- AOLserver Troubleshooting -- An enumeration of known problems and suggested fixes. A discussion of narrowing down the problem, use of debuggers and other tools (commercial as well as free). Memory, how to measure and analyze memory usage.
- AOLserver Performance Tuning -- A discussion of measuring, profiling, and tuning AOLserver and your application
This might be a little old by now, but it's still an excellent read: AOLserver Tuning, Troubleshooting and Scaling by Kriston J. Rehberg.
See also: nstelemtry.
- Graphing / Charting with AOLserver -- Options and examples of integrating various graphing packages with AOLserver.